Being one of the best international schools, we try to bring your child’s learning to life with world-class technology-enabled learning and school facilities that ignite their imagination. It gives us immense pleasure to share that the same is reiterated by our parent community. In our recent Annual Parent Satisfaction Survey (2022-23), 93% of the parents say Oakridge offers a Stimulating learning environment and 92% agree on that their child loves going to school every day. Isn’t that amazing!
In this blog post, we’ll explore the critical role of the learning environment in student success, and why creating a positive and supportive learning environment should be a top priority for educators. Let’s understand how the learning environments impact the students and their learning transactions:
- Classroom Environment: Studies have shown that classrooms with good design can improve student performance by up to 25%. At Oakridge Mohali, we have well-designed classrooms with ample natural light, appropriate ventilation, and comfortable temperatures. The classroom layout is flexible enough to accommodate different teaching styles and student learning needs. The classroom environment should also be organized and clutter-free, with materials and resources easily accessible to students.
- Safety and Security: For children to learn and succeed, a safe and secure learning environment with round-the-clock CCTV monitoring, suitable fire and safety measures, and security personnel is crucial. According to a report by the American Psychological Association, students who feel safe in their school environments are more likely to engage in academic activities, perform better academically, and have fewer behavioural problems.
- Constant Support for the child: Students who feel supported are more likely to engage in academic activities and perform better academically. Teachers at Oakridge create a classroom environment that is free from bullying, harassment, and discrimination. They are trained to identify and address any potential safety concerns, such as bullying or mental health issues. Creating a supportive learning environment can also involve providing resources and support to students who may be struggling academically or personally. For example, teachers provide extra academic support, connect students with counselling services, and provide opportunities for students to engage in extracurricular activities.
- Enabling Facilities: A student’s learning experience may be impacted by the state of the school’s facilities, including its rejuvenation centres, gardens, libraries, labs, playgrounds, and sports courts. We try to provide modern resources and equipment that helps to improve learning possibilities and foster a good learning environment for students in well-equipped facilities. Happiness and a sense of belongingness is instilled in the school community when the environment is comforting.
- Teacher-Student Interaction: 94% of our parents say that the child is motivated by the teachers. Teachers who are approachable, supportive, and empathetic can have a significant impact on student engagement and academic success. Teachers should also encourage student participation and foster a supportive classroom culture. This can be achieved through activities such as collaborative projects, group discussions, and peer-to-peer feedback. Students who feel that their opinions are valued and respected are more likely to engage in academic activities and perform better academically.
In conclusion, the learning environment plays a critical role in student success. From classroom design to teacher-student interaction to safety and support, every aspect of the learning environment can impact a student’s academic performance, engagement, and motivation. We as educators prioritize creating a positive and supportive learning environment to help students achieve their full potential. By focusing on creating a supportive and engaging learning environment, we at Oakridge Mohali try helping students develop the skills and confidence they need to succeed academically and in life.