|Oakridge Leadership Residential Program|
|Start Date||5th May, 2013|
The Oakridge Leadership School (OLS) is delighted to announce the first edition of its Values-Based Leadership Program in Rishikesh. This program, built in partnership with Aspire, Giving Voice to Values at Babson College (USA) and Snow Leopard Adventures has been rated 4.8 by students on a scale of 1-5 where 5 meant “Significantly Exceeds Expectations”. The one-week, 50-hour residential program in Rishikesh for students of grades 9 through 12 is scheduled from 5th May to 12th May, 2013. Our program is distinctive in using 10 different pedagogies and dual certifications- both from Oakridge Leadership School and from Aspire-Babson. The rest of this note answers three key questions parents are asking us about the Program: I. Why is this program important? II. What will happen in the Program? III. What about the Faculty, Logistics and Venue? Please find below clarifications on these frequent queries.
Why is this Program important?
The OLS leadership program is designed to be both meaningful and memorable and has been benchmarked with world’s leading youth leadership programs, including those offered by Ivy League institutions in the US. The program helps students prepare for real-life leadership beyond school and create moral muscle to succeed in their careers, where they will likely encounter more grey areas than black and white situations. Overall, the program will make a significant difference to your child’s future because of its following set of truly unparalleled objectives:
- Introduce concepts of values-based leadership amongst students, which will encourage them to move from thought to action and from success to significance
- Create greater awareness of ethics and personal moral compass with respect to self, family, society, business and environment
- Evolve a mature view of college and occupations through appreciation of diversity in life
- Lead students towards emotional, intellectual and social growth through different experiential modes of learning in a risk-free environment
- Develop decision-making skills through case-study based real-life simulation
- Ensure that the programme is an important accomplishment for the students, worthy of mention in their CVs.
Through the programme, we are blending multiple pedagogies to ensure that students find it both engaging and enjoyable.
What will happen in the Program?
Teenagers and Young Adults learn differently, using their multiple intelligences. Therefore, our program builds Values-Based Leadership Skills using multiple pedagogies and most significantly, Readings-and-Case Studies-based self-reflection. The 50-hour program has the following key sub-modules and pedagogies organized to ensure variety and versatility.
- Socratic Dialogue: Socratic Dialogues are text-based group discussions which use question-based, probing discussions to provide a common context for a disciplined reflection. It is both a form of inquiry and debate to stimulate critical thinking. Students use our carefully selected readings, from across authors, centuries and civilizations for the purpose.
- Leadership Case Studies: Students use leadership and business case studies to analyse and reach conclusions based on the facts, conflicting goals/values and the impact on people and organisations. Case studies are the preferred way of teaching-learning in all business schools and many of our case studies are from Babson College and Yale University.
- Performing Arts: Recent research shows that study in music improves test scores in spatial temporal reasoning in young adults. We have included a drama and a musical oath in the programme. As students perform, we encourage them to be imaginative and take risks.
- Communication Skills: Since Communication is an important leadership skill, we have developed a rigorous curriculum that trains participants in writing, speech, body language and presentation skills. We have also included famous speeches from well-known leaders to ensure that participants are able to internalise both content and style.
- Soft Skills: This section introduces participants to behavioural skills through experiential games and role plays that will aid them at school and work. Soft Skills help students deal with and react positively to diverse environments, situations and people.
- Adventure Sports: World’s leading leadership programs use outdoors and nature to both inspire and invoke. OLS uses Adventure Sports like river rafting, rock climbing, rappelling and hiking to test the participants’ endurance, strength, leadership and team work.
- Educational Tours: Students observe a large, diverse social milieu at OLS and interact with people sensitively and maturely. They visit a village, an orphanage, Haridwar Ghats, etc. to better appreciate the circle and challenges of life and their roles in their communities.
- Profiling and Assessments: OLS uses Psychometric Profiling through questionnaires, tests and personality assessments to explain individual personality and behaviour to students through tools like DISC and Career Preference Test.
- Projects: After the leadership programme, participants will be required to complete a school, college or community-level project in their area of interest.
- Guest Lectures: Finally, Guest Lectures give participants an opportunity to observe leaders who have truly made a difference. Last year, the children heard from Gautam Thapar, Chairman-Avantha Group and Aspen India at the Program and from the likes of Lee Hsien Loong, Prime Minister of Singapore; Narayan Murthy, Chief Mentor- Infosys; and, Walter Issacson, Author of Steve Jobs and Global CEO- The Aspen Institute, post the Program.
What about the Faculty, Logistics and Venue?
The program takes place at Camp Panther, a site in Rishikesh operated by Padam Shree Ajeet Bajaj, CEO of Snow Leopard (www.snowleopardadventures.com), India’s foremost Adventure Camp. Snow Leopard will pick students from Oakridge Campus in Hyderabad after the Opening Ceremony on Saturday, 23rd March and fly them to Rishikesh, via Dehradun. They drop the students back at Oakridge Campus in Hyderabad on Saturday, 30th March for the Closing Ceremony. Students are accompanied by OLS faculty. You will receive all Camp-related FAQs/Safety Manual along with the Admission Confirmation.
The Leadership Program has been designed and is facilitated by Aspire Human Capital Management (www.aspireindia.org), India’s foremost Life, Employability & Leadership Skills firm promoted by Mr. Amit Bhatia, Trustee of Aspen India and Founder of McKinsey Knowledge Centre. The program is co-certified by Giving Voice to Values at Babson College (Boston, USA). Both Mr. Ajeet Bajaj and Mr. Amit Bhatia are Shri Ram parents and Faculty Members of the Program. Other Moderators in Faculty include Mr. Manoj Kumar, CEO of Nandi Foundation and Mr. James Abraham, Former Managing Director of Boston Consulting Group. The Communications and Soft Skills Faculty is also from a high-quality McKinsey-accredited corporate training group.
Cost of the Workshop: Rs. 57,000/- ( Rupees Fifty Seven Thousand only)
Payment Mode: Cash/ Cheque or DD in the name of VIKAS EDUCATIONAL SOCIETY
For any further queries, please contact the following:
- Ms. Mohseena Hussain, Oakridge (firstname.lastname@example.org) 98851 85474
- Ms. Kanika Singh, Snow Leopard (email@example.com), 98100 98500
- Ms. Kanika Bhatia, Aspire (firstname.lastname@example.org), 84478 20004
The Application Forms are available in school. We are glad to have already received applications and have limited seats left for the 25-only cohort. We look forward to mentoring your child to be a future leader.